Are You Blogging For Your Business Yet?
There is a lot to be said about ‘blogging’ and whether it is worthwhile for your business to be producing regular blogs. Blogs can be seen as ‘old fashioned’ alongside all the new emerging platforms on offer. It is also quite a commitment to produce monthly/fortnightly (or whenever you can manage) blogs of quality content.
However I strongly urge you to get pen to paper, or get those fingers to your keyboards and churn out quality content in the form of stylish and meaningful blogs. Driving quality original content from your site turns your website into an interactive hub. Plus a blog often gives you the chance to share a wealth of information that isn’t achievable through other tools at hand.
Blogging to Improve SEO
Blogging is definitely the best way to achieve organic traffic via your website. This traffic isn’t achieved by simply sharing your blog posts to your own social channels. What is often misunderstood is that the magic of blogging comes from what is known as Google SEO.
(Apologies in advance for getting all technical on you, I will try to keep this short.)
Google has automatic algorithms that rank your website. They send out nice little ‘spiders’ who’s job is to crawl your site to check for indicators to see if your site is worthwhile and valuable… or not.
So what in Google’s eyes makes you ‘valuable?’ This is a topic for an entirely different blog, but in short, Google is picking up indicators such as backlinks, traffic, page download speed, and fresh content to name only a few things.
How to Blog (In Under 10 Points)
So before you nod off at your desk, here in under 10 points is how we recommend you write great blogs which will help your SEO efforts:
- Always write your blogs from your own domain and hosting. (Do not use a free blog set up) Google only wants to point to site that are serious about doing business, and by having your own blog on your website, they consider you serious and trustworthy.
- Content is King- I am sure you are bored of the cliche, however, the best thing you can do is create original content which is going to interest and benefit people, and solve their problems. By solving problems for people your blog is much more likely to be read and shared! A problem solved, is in blogging terms, a blog shared.
- Blogging should be more than the written word- make it interesting to read. Add photos, videos, and podcasts if you can.
- Plan Your Content – like most things in life, a blog should be carefully planned. What are you writing about and why? Is there a need for the information you are pushing out? There should be.
- Research your keywords-use a platform like Google Adwords Keyword Planner to research your keywords, and once you have them, use them. By blogging consistently, you give Google and other search engines new content to index and you create opportunities to plug in those all-important keywords to increase your visibility on search engine results pages.
- Focus on content which is ‘evergreen’ -that means topics which are long-lasting and which will keep people coming back over a long period of time.
- Establish yourself as an industry leader. By sharing your knowledge in your field you will establish yourself as the ‘go to’ person for informative content and your blogs are therefore more likely to convert into sales.
- Give your business a voice and personality. Although our lives are awash with technology and tools, people still like to deal with people when making a business decision. A blog gives you the chance to talk in your own voice, and add the vision and personality of your company.
- Create an opportunity to share. Every time you blog interesting information, you are giving your audience the opportunity to share your information.
So with all of this in mind, it is time to get your feet under your desk, and get blogging! But, if you would rather leave it to the experts, CONTACT ME for more information on how I can give your business a little KARPOW! in the form of a blogging content strategy.